Skip to main content

Adéniké - Episode 6

Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54:10


Pa Emmanuel watched as she drifted back to sleep. 

She looked so frail and young, even though her eyes said otherwise. He remembered how distant and fierce her gaze was when she looked at him. It made him wonder what hell she must have gone through.

Her toss on the bed brought him back from his wandering thoughts. He watched her throw her hands in the air as she squirmed.

"Young lady...young lady..." He called as he tapped her gently. 

Adenike woke up with a startle. Immediately, she shoved his arms away and tried to still her trembling lips.

"It was just a dream dear." 

As her eyes rested on him, she recognised him as the old man who had brought a tray of food to her. 

"Who are you mister and what am I doing here?"  

Pa Emmanuel felt uncomfortable with her tone and tried to calm her down. "Please rest dear. I will tell you everything after you've had a good rest." 

"Does it look like I am having any rest at all?" She barked at him.

Pa Emmanuel stared at her,  amazed at her sudden outburst. She must be very short-tempered. He thought 

The night he saw her, he had been on his way to get some groceries. His car's headlight had shone at a tiny figure on the floor. He wanted to continue his trip when he heard a whisper. He would recognise that gentle voice anywhere. 

"Tend my sheep."

He reversed and took a look at the figure again. He knew that the Lord had just spoken to him. He alighted from his car and turned the person's face so he could see it was clear.

He was surprised when he realised it was just a young girl. Her eyes were shut and her swollen cheeks made her face bigger than her head. Her clothes were almost tattered. 

If he hadn't heard God, he would have concluded she was mad. His dealings with God thus far have taught him to obey God blindly.

Pa Emmanuel turned to her and spoke. "I picked you from Muritala Mohammed Way. 

You had passed out on the floor. What happened to you that night?" 

The memories rushed back. The dream. The strange beings. She remembered running out of the hotel. Thereafter, she couldn't recall anything else.

"Were you robbed? What about your parents?" Pa Emmanuel pushed further trying to get at least a bit of information from her.

"I don't have parents". 

He stared at her. "Any relative?" 

"I have no one." Adenike retorted. Her face was stone cold. 

"Hmm. Okay. What is your name?" 

"My name is Nike". She replied, playing with her fingers.

Just then, the doctor entered. "She is awake, that's good progress!" 

He checked her temperature and it was a little bit stable. "You've not had the rest that your body demands". The doctor frowned. "I'm going give you a medication that will knock you out for a few hours. You need to take a lot of rest". 

"No, no, I don't want to sleep, please..."

Pa Emmanuel watched as the fierce girl suddenly became frightened and it pierced his heart. He could feel her fear strongly. 

He touched her arms and reassured her. "It would be all right. You are safe now". 

As Adenike's attention shifted to the old man, the doctor pierced her. She screamed. Immediately, her eyes became heavy. She fought to keep them open but they slowly closed on their own accord.


***************

Pa Emmanuel sat in his study as he flipped the pages of his bible over. His mind wandered to his ordeals in the past few hours. 

"You want me to tend your sheep lord. What would you have me do?" Just then his eyes darted to Ephesians 1:5.

"He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will".

"She seems so far away Lord. How do I reach her and bring her to you?".

He was waiting to hear something or anything that would give him a clue to what he should do next. He rested his face on his left hand which was placed on the table.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your standing. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths".

He smiled. Is this not what the Lord has been teaching him? To trust Him blindly?


***************

Thank you for reading guys.

Please comment your thoughts below, I would like to know what you think.


***************

Click to read Episode 5
Click to read Eoisode 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adéniké - Episode 4

 "What are you doing here, Nike. It's late." David blurted out. Smiling, Nike walked into the little room and made herself comfortable on the bed.  With crossed legs and poised lips, she pointed at David. "I came to keep you company."  David looked straight at her. Although her body begged for his touch, her eyes said otherwise. He thought they looked confused and this caused him to take a step backwards.  "Nike, stop walking towards me." He snapped and shifted backwards slowly.  "What is wrong with you!".  David thought of a way out of the situation but found himself struck by her beauty.  "Oh! She looks so beautiful! Her legs are so long and attractive.  Could this be the Lord presenting pleasure to me on a platter of gold? What if this is a gift from the Lord. No wonder I have been so endeared to her." Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourse...

Adéniké - Episode 5

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,"declares  the LORD. Isaiah 55:8 Once again, the gallops made Adenike bump into the dirty-looking man sitting beside her.  She had been on the road for over five hours now. Irritated, she tried to move as much as she could away from him. As if that wasn't enough, the girl in front of her wouldn't stop talking. She had been chattering for two hours non stop. She was pissed. "What the heck! Does she think she is the only one here."  Just then, she imagined pulling her hair and yelling at her to keep quiet. It was such an awful journey. She just couldn't wait to get down from the disgusting bus.  The bus soon came to a halt. Adenike highlighted from the bus, unsure of her surrounding.  She was bewildered. There were people everywhere. It seemed like a small crowded village.  Just then, a woman approached her. "Aunty, I dey sell earring, fine fine one wey go fit you. Shey make I bring...

A Girl’s Longing Flame

In La La Land, my heart did dwell, Dreaming of a love, I couldn't quite tell. In my mind, he was the one, A world of fantasies, I had spun. I gave my all, my love, my care, For in my dreams, he was always there. His silent signals, a subtle dance, Yet, I held onto hope's fragile chance. In the castle of my mind, a home we'd build, As if our fates were already sealed. But alas, reality would intervene, A truth so painful, yet unseen. He loved another, my heart did break, In tears and sorrow, I'd wake. Why did he play with my heart so dear? Those sweet kisses, now a bitter tear. I was a fool, a romantic blind, In my own world, lost in my mind. One-sided love, I couldn't see, My heartache a cruel mystery. But time has passed, wounds have healed, Now I see what was concealed. He's just like any other, no more, No special magic, like times of yore. That inexplicable pull, now a distant memory, Was it love, or just a fantasy? Not mere lust o...